Man United draw Southampton as Casemiro despatched off
MANCHESTER, England — Manchester United held on for a 0-0 draw towards backside aspect Southampton regardless of taking part in for almost an hour with 10 males following Casemiro’s crimson card.
– Report: Man United 0-0 Southampton | Premier League desk
The Brazilian midfielder was despatched off for a excessive problem on Carlos Alcaraz following a VAR evaluate. Referee Anthony Taylor initially confirmed Casemiro a yellow card, nevertheless it was upgraded after Taylor seemed on the incident on the pitchside monitor.
Both David De Gea and Gavin Bazunu made good saves to maintain the sport goalless and it is prone to be United who really feel happier with the outcome.
1. Man United maintain on, Southampton miss out
Under supervisor Erik ten Hag, United have produced some thrilling attacking soccer, however Sunday was all about grit and dedication. Playing with 10 males from the thirty fifth minute after Casemiro was proven a straight crimson card for a reckless problem on Alcaraz, United dug in to verify they prolonged their unbeaten run at Old Trafford to 22 video games.
Ten Hag wanted De Gea to make two good save, however Southampton goalkeeper Bazunu was additionally spectacular, making sharp stops to disclaim Raphael Varane and Bruno Fernandes. In the tip, Southampton, backside of the Premier League desk, will really feel prefer it’s a missed alternative having performed with a person benefit for thus lengthy, whereas United can be blissful to gather some extent from a sport they may have fairly simply misplaced.
– Stream on ESPN+: LaLiga, Bundesliga, extra (U.S.)
The larger disappointment for Ten Hag can be dropping Casemiro for the subsequent 4 home video games — together with the journey to Newcastle on April 2 — whereas a late damage to Alejandro Garnacho can be one thing he might do with out.
Casemiro was by no means proven a straight crimson card throughout his time at Real Madrid, however he is been proven two in his final three Premier League appearances.
2. Ten Hag has a conundrum with De Gea
Ten Hag has seen the very best and worst of De Gea within the area of 4 days this week, and it highlights the issue for the United boss as he decides what’s subsequent for the goalkeeper.
On Thursday towards Real Betis, De Gea’s kicking was poor and it put his teammates in bother greater than as soon as. One misplaced move nearly allowed the Spanish aspect to take the lead late within the first half earlier than United took management of the tie.
Against Southampton, although, De Gea confirmed that he’s nonetheless top-of-the-line shot-stoppers on this planet with a reflex save to forestall Theo Walcott scoring with a header from six yards out. It was the form of save he has produced repeatedly during the last decade at Old Trafford.
You can perceive why Ten Hag would possibly desire a goalkeeper who is best with the ball at his ft — significantly if you’re seeking to construct out from the again — however the threat is that any new addition is not nearly as good at making saves. It’s a query for Ten Hag to unravel when he implements the second stage of his rebuild in the summertime.
3. Bazunu has his greatest sport for Southampton
There have been questions requested about Bazunu this season after Southampton spent near £16 million in the summertime to usher in a goalkeeper who a yr in the past was taking part in in League One. On mortgage at Portsmouth from Manchester City final season, it is checked out occasions this season that the third tier is the 21-year-old’s degree however at Old Trafford he seemed proper at residence within the Premier League.
With Southampton taking part in towards 10 males for almost an hour, Bazunu did not have the busy afternoon he was most likely anticipating, however he nonetheless pulled off two fantastic saves to verify United did not snatch all three factors.
In the primary half, the Republic of Ireland worldwide raced throughout to the again put up to disclaim Raphael Varane by throwing himself on the Frenchman. Then, after half-time, he produced a implausible cease to push Bruno Fernandes’ effort onto the within of the put up. He was additionally fast off his line greater than as soon as to get the higher of duels with Marcus Rashford.
Bazunu nonetheless has work to do to win over nearly all of Southampton followers, however a clear sheet at Old Trafford is an efficient place to begin.
Best and worst performers
– Gavin Bazunu, GK, Southampton: The 21-year-old made two excellent saves from Varane and Fernandes.
– David De Gea, GK, Man United: Expertly pushed Theo Walcott’s header over the bar from six yards out.
– Aaron Wan-Bissaka, DF, Man United: Prevented Scott McTominay from scoring an personal purpose with an instinctive goal-line clearance.
– Theo Walcott, MF, Southampton: The ahead had, and squandered, his probabilities to win the sport for Southampton.
– Casemiro, MF, Man United: His problem on Carlos Alcaraz was excessive and he can have few complaints in regards to the VAR evaluate.
– Wout Weghorst, ST, Man United: Spent many of the first half arguing with the referee and was sacrificed early after Casemiro’s crimson card.
Highlights and notable moments
Did this appear to be the fitting name for Casemiro? Really does appear so.
Southampton midfielder James Ward-Prowse is understood for his set-piece heroics, and he got here so near breaking the stalemate with a wonderful free-kick.
Was a crimson card the right name for this deal with by Casemiro? 🤔 pic.twitter.com/ZWi3qhc2kI
— ESPN FC (@ESPNFC) March 12, 2023
In the tip, United stored making an attempt… however some extent feels just like the fair proportion given how a lot the sport modified with Casemiro’s first-half crimson card.
After the match: What the gamers/managers stated
“A few months ago we would have lost this game. Hopefully this can give us some momentum to keep building from. You see from today’s performance that we can perform against any team in this league and we just need to continue.” — Southampton goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu, to Sky Sports
“I think Casemiro was unlucky. He tried to touch the ball and his foot came up high. I think the referees need to show more consistency. Sometimnes they show a red card and sometimes they don’t. It’s going to be tough, he’s a big player. We will miss him for four games but we have a big squad. We have players coming from the bench who do well. We will keep working hard.” — Manchester United goalkeeper David de Gea, to Sky Sports, concerning Casemiro’s crimson card
Key stats (offered by ESPN Stats & Information analysis)
– Casemiro: Second crimson card with Man United (first since Feb. 4 within the Premier League). In 37 aggressive matches with Man United throughout all competitions, he equals his whole quantity of crimson playing cards in his whole Real Madrid profession. This equals his whole quantity of crimson playing cards (336 video games).
– Manchester United fails to attain in consecutive Premier League video games for the primary time for the reason that remaining two video games of the 2021-22 season (4-0 loss to Brighton, 1-0 loss to Palace)
– Via Opta: Casemiro is the primary participant to obtain two crimson playing cards in a single Premier League season for Manchester United since Nemanja Vidic in 2013-14.
Manchester United: Ten Hag’s aspect have a probably enjoyable week forward, with a Europa League last-16 second leg date with Betis on Thursday — and with a 4-1 combination lead — establishing Sunday’s FA Cup quarterfinal conflict with Fulham.
Southampton: It’s nothing however Premier League motion from right here on out for the struggling Saints, who’ve a midweek sport with Brentford (March 15) adopted by Tottenham’s go to on Saturday.